Wednesday 9 November 2011

Don't Forget our Furry & Feathered Friends!

It's a gloomy November afternoon and I'm watching the squirrels and chipmunks scampering around in my backyard, always on their endless search for food. They seem more busy than ever these days, which makes me a bit nervous. Is this a sign that we're in for a long cold winter, or is it because there was a bumper crop of everything this year and they have so much to gather?

I used to feed them on my deck for the entertainment of my indoor cats who would watch them anxiously through the windows. I'd throw a handful of shelled peanuts right outside the patio doors and watch them come scampering out of nowhere. They'd shove one or two of them high up into each cheek before bounding away to hide them, or find a safe place to sit and enjoy their snack for a minute or so.

'Buddy'
A few years ago, I had one little grey girl squirrel named Buddy. (I named her before I knew she was a girl.) Buddy became so tame with me that she would take peanuts right from my hand. When I would sit quietly reading on my deck chair, buddy would lay on the railing beside me and just hang out. She was a pretty little thing with a white tummy and black eyeliner. Buddy was a fixture in my backyard for about 3 years. Then sadly, she stopped coming. After several weeks, I knew I'd never see her again, but I just know that some of the little grey squirrels in my backyard MUST be her babies or grandbabies. Some of them have white tummies and same distinctive eyeliner like she had. The circle of life!

Nowadays, the peanuts don't get tossed quite so close to the house.... Why you ask?? Because the little rascal chimpmunks became so comfortable with us that they decided to move into our attic! I'm more than happy to give them free food, but I'll be darned if they're getting free room and board!

Chickadee
With winter quickly approaching, if you aren't doing so already you may want to think about feeding our feathered friends too. The furry ones have an natural instincts to gather and hide away food in their nests, while the feathered ones need to search for food daily. It's a glorious thing in the dead of winter to have birds come to your backyard to eat. Such a happy sight and sound!

Bird feeders, books and accessories make wonderful gifts for any nature lover, and it doesn't matter how big your yard is... even if you don't have a yard you can hang a feeder from a hook on a patio or lower level balcony.

Things to remember:
  • Squirrels LOVE birdseed and can empty the entire feeder in a matter of minutes. Place your birdfeeder where squirrels have trouble getting at it, use a baffle if you have a pole feeder, or invest in a squirrel proof feeder.
  • The feeder should be close to a source of natural protection like a large tree, to give the birds a sense of safety.
  • Locate the feeder where it is protected from harsh, cold winds.
  • For your enjoyment, put the feeder where you can easily and comfortably see it from inside the house.
  • Place the feeder where you can easily access it in the dead of winter. If you have to trudge through 3 feet of snow to get at it, you might not keep it full and the birds will stop coming. For winter feeding a large feeder might be more convenient so you don't have to fill it as often.
  • Pack down the snow around the feeder so that the birds can clean up the fallen seed easier.
  • Keep birdseed in a dry place and inside a rodent-proof, sealed container. Mice also love birdseed and can chew through a plastic bag easily to get at it.
  • Clean the feeder regularly to avoid mold, mildew and unhealthy conditions for the birds.
  • PLEASE! If you live in a multi-level apartment, be considerate of your neighbours if you decide to put a feeder on your balcony. The people living below you will not thank you for the birdseed and droppings that will inevitably land on their balconies!
  • If you can, keep a source of water available for the birds. A birdbath with a heating element in it is ideal.
  • Lastly, feeding birds is a very rewarding hobby. Learn the types of birds who are visiting you and enjoy!



Squirrel Proof Feeder Sale

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I enjoyed reading it. Hi, I just noticed pic of Buddy, she is so cute!

    ReplyDelete